Thursday, February 7, 2008

TRACK REVIEW: "EVERYONE NOSE" - N.E.R.D.

Here's the thing: I never like club songs. I'm not a club guy. (I think I had a couple of issues when I was 17 but that's about it.) While they're often used as the single on most albums, I think club tracks are alway throwaways, just unnecessary filler. What do they give us? Shitty lyrics that sound like they're written by a horny fifteen year old over the latest lukewarm R&B tunes.

But as the old saying goes: never say never. This brings us to N.E.R.D. and their latest song, "Everyone Nose." I'll try to break down the recipe for you:

2 parts Bomb Squad-style layered drums and bongos
1/2 teaspoon Miami bass style call-and-response
1 cup electro bassline.

Aside from the joy found in The Bomb Squad tendencies, there's a message. (A club song with a message? And the message isn't "I'ma kick it to you/Then I'ma stick it to you/You like how I dick it to you") Like Melle Mel and the Furious Five's "White Lines (Don't Do It)," the message here is simple: ladies, have a good time. But go easy on the cocaine, which I think we can all stand by, unless you're Bobby Brown.

"Everyone Nose" by N.E.R.D.

No comments: