Friday, February 29, 2008

VIDEO: THE ROOTS "75 BARS"

Maybe this will lead to Black Thought finally getting his props as one of the best. In a world of Jim Joneses (Jonesi?) and Soulja Boys, this is a breath of fresh air. I just miss the pitbull tenacity of olden days where MCs just attacked the mic like it fondled their younger sister. And The Roots' Black Thought definitely possesses that. Also, lack of a hook...good move. The dependency on a catchy hook/chorus is another problem with hip-hop nowadays (yes, that's the grumpy old man in me). Crisp drums + ominous bassline tuba + superb lyrical effort = the best song I've heard in 2008.

As for the actual concept of the video, I can see MTV filing this one right next to Public Enemy's "By The Time I Get To Arizona" and the original version of Brand Nubian's "Wake Up" in the "Hell No" category. I don't eve know if BET will play it as there's no dance associated with the song...unless there's a dance called "Light A White Hostage On Fire." I wouldn't know as I'm not into arson...or dancing.

Let the controversy storm begin...



Via Idolator via On Smash

No comments: